Saturday, 21 April 2007
Kitchro / Kitchdo / Haleem
We make this dish about once a year, as it is very time consuming, We usually make it after Navroz khushali to use up wheat roji. This year we made it for Shaheen and Mohsin's majlis last Wednesday.
3 cups pearl barley
1/2 cup wheat
1/4 cup of each split chick pea, split mung beans, split tuwar, and masur dal
3/4 cup rice
2 lb lamb; cut into bite size pieces
8 cloves garlic; minced
5 inch piece of ginger grated
6 chillies; minced
Juice of 3 limes
2 tblspn oil
1 stick cinnamon, 3 cloves, 3 pods cardamom. 1 tspn cumin seeds
3-4 tomatoes; blended
8 large onions; minced
2 tbs dhana jeero
1/2 tsp tumeric
salt to taste
1 large bunch coriander, blended
1 tspn garam masala
1. Soak the pearl barley, wheat, and the various dals overnight.
2. Boil them separately and blend to get a porridge like consistency, keep aside. Boil the rice and keep aside.
3. Marinate the lamb with garlic, ginger, chillies and lime juice.
4. Boil the lamb in 2 cups of water with salt
5. Heat the oil, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, add the onions and fry until they are almost carmelised, add the tomatoes, cook for about 10 minutes, add the coriander, cumin and tumeric powders, stir for about 3 minutes, add the pearl barley, wheat, dals and rice, mix well.
6. Add the meat and stock to it and mix well let it cook for 10 minutes, add the blended coriander and garam masala and cover and simmer for a further 15 minutes. The consistency should be like porridge ; add some more water if neccessary.
Serve with a green salad