Wednesday, 7 May 2014
I recently made Hot and Sweet Lime and Ginger Pickle, I found I could not taste the ginger at all as it was so limey (sharp) tasting. I have amended this recipe, left out the ginger, and added oranges. It is perfect so yummy!!
4 level tablespoon salt
1/3 cup water
1 cup brown sugar or jaggery (gur)
5 teaspoon cayenne pepper (reduce if you don't want it so hot)
- Slice the limes thinly, add the salt and leave overnight
- Strain and place in a pan, add juice of the oranges and lemon
- Add water, the liquid should just cover the lime slices. (if your oranges and lemons are bigger or smaller than mine adjust the amount of water.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 2 hours
- Add the sugar, bring to quick boil for at least 20 minutes.
- Test by placing a drop on a cold saucer in the fridge. It is ready if it sets.
- Turn off the heat and add the cayenne (red chilli) powder, mix.
- Place into sterile jars.