1 large onion (chopped fine)
3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Ib Lamb on the bone (2 inch pieces)
6 cloves garlic minced
2 cups Basmati Rice
3 medium tomatoes; blanched and peeled
2 tspn cumin seeds
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 large carrots; cut into matchsticks
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup water
- Fry the onions (in a large enough saucepan for the cooked rice), until almost caramelised, remove and set aside.
- Brown the meat and garlic in the same oil, and add 3 ½ cups of water, boil until the meat is cooked, remove the meat and set aside
- Wash and soak the rice for half an hour
- Grind the fried onions with the tomatoes and add to the meat stock, bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds, garam masala and rice and simmer for 10 minutes, stir in the meat cook for a further 10 minutes or until there is no liquid visible,
- While the rice is cooking, fry the carrots for 10 minutes, drain the oil, add raisins and water and cook for a further 10 minutes
- Place the pilau in a larger platter and garnish with the carrots and raisins.