8 oz or 250gm boneless lamb; well trimmed of all the fat, and cubed into 1.5 inch pieces
3 cloves garlic; crushed
1-2 green chillies
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powders
1 1/2 teaspoon coriander and cumin powders
1/2 cup chopped methi / fenugreek leaves
3 cups mixed vegetables; cut into 2 inch chunks
(I used courgette, aubergine, potatoes and peas)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 cup basmati rice; washed and soaked in some water
3 cups of water
1/4 teaspoon saffron; soaked in 1 tablespoon of warm water
- Marinate the meat in the yogurt, saffron, garlic and ginger pastes leave for at least 2 hours
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the whole garam masala, as soon as they start popping, add the onions and fry until brown.
- Add the marinated lamb and stir until all the surfaces are sealed
- Add the tomatoes and green chillies and bring to boil, simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the turmeric, coriander and cumin powders, cook for a few minutes
- Add all the vegetables and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the garam masala powder and mix well
- In a separate saucepan, bring the rice to boil with 3 cups of water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and place on top of the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle the saffron and water mixture
- Place in the oven at 160 degrees centigrade for 40 minutes
serve with a tomato and cucumber salad