Tuesday, 26 March 2013
Sunday, 24 March 2013
1 chicken; skinned and cut into 8-10 pieces
2 tablespoon yogurt
2 inch ginger; grated
2-3 garlic cloves; minced
1-2 green chillies; minced
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 pods cardamom
1 2 inch stick cinnamon
1 large onion; chopped finely;
4 large tomatoes; peeled and blended
1 cup methi leaves (fenugreek leaves); chopped
½ tea spoon tumeric
2 tea spoons coriander/cumin powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups chicken stock or water
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 tablespoon chopped coriander
1. Marinate the chicken in the yogurt, ginger, garlic and chillies for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and peppercorns. As soon as they pop add the onions and fry until golden brown,
3. Add the chicken and stir so that the chicken is coated with the onions; cook for about 10 minutes
4. Add the tomatoes, add the tumeric and coriander/cumin mixture fry for another 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the methi mix and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, and bring to boil, simmer for 20 minutes, add the garam masala powder and mix.
6. Serve garnished with chopped coriander.
7. Serve with chapatti or rice and a salad.
Tuesday, 19 March 2013
1 cup basmati rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1. wash the rice thoroughly, rinsing at least 3 times, soak in clean water for 30 minutes
2. Drain the rice in a fine colander or sieve, place in a saucepan
3. Add the water and salt and bring to boil, as soon as it boils, turn down the heat and cover, leave for 15 minutes, fluff with a fork and serve.