Samosa pastry is available at Indian / Asian stores, Chinese eggroll pastry or Greek filo pastry can also be used.
2 tablespoon flour for sticking paste
½ cup Split Moong Dal
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
5-6 Curry Leaves
1 Green Chilli chopped fine
2 inch Ginger paste; grated
2 garlic cloves; minced
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon Fennel seeds; ground
½ teaspoon Garam Masala
1 medium onion; finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
½ lime juiced
Salt to taste
Oil for brushing or frying
- Wash the dal three times and soak for at least 1 hour.
- Drain the water, and grind the dal coarsely.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and curry leaves, as soon as they splutter, add the dal.
- Keep stirring for 5 minutes, lower the heat and cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add green chilli, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, turmeric and garam masala, mix.
- Cook for a further five minutes or until soft.
- Add salt and the lime juice and mix.
- Remove from heat, add the onions and chopped coriander and keep aside to cool.
- Heat the oven at 220C, if baking.
- Mix the flour with a little water to make a thick paste
- Fold left side of the pastry diagonally, see photo, smear with flour paste, and fold the right side of pastry.
- Fill the cone with the filling and seal on the top with the paste.
- Deep fry or Place on a greased tray, brush tops with oil and bake for 20 minutes.