1 cup mung beans; soaked for at least 2 hours
1 cup yogurt
3 cups water
2 tablespoons chickpea flour
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn cumin seeds
6/7 curry leaves (limra /limda pan)
1 onion; finely chopped
2/3 green chillies; lengthways into two
1 large tomato; blanched and finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic; minced
2 inch ginger; grated
1/2 lemon ; juiced
coriander for garnish
1. Boil the mung beans in 1 cup water for 25 minutes or cooked, and set aside.
2. Place the yogurt, 2 cups water and the chickpea flour in a bowl and whisk until smooth and set aside
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the mustards seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
4. As soon as they start spluttering, add the onions, fry until transparent.
6. Add the green chillies, fry for a couple of minutes, and add the tomatoes, ginger and garlic, stir and fry until the mixture looks fairly homogenous. Add the tumeric powder, mix.
7. Add the mung beans, bring to boil.
8. Add the yogurt mixture and lemon juice, bring to boil, simmers for about 15 minutes, and serve in a deep bowl garnished with coriander.
I love this kadhi by itself, with crusty bread or rice. I also served it with chore ja bhajia / blackeye beans falafel.