Sunday 23 September 2007

Muthiya /Coconutty Lamb and Vegetable Stew with Dumplings

Today Chachi made Muthiya for Khane. Muthiya is quite labour intensive and I was not able to get the step by step photos, but I watched closely.
Muthiya are named after the dumplings which are made in the muthi of the hand or fist shaped, the dough is placed in the palm of the hand, you then close the hand gently to make a sausage like shape. This dish is a typical Khoja / Ismaili dish, it is like a stew with lamb, vegetables and dumplings in a coconut sauce. Mmmmmmmmmmmm………. Delish. Chachis Muthiya are the best.

Ingredients
Stew
2 lb lamb, cleaned and cut in small chunks
3 tspn minced cloves garlic
3 tspn grated ginger
3 tspn minced green chillies
juice of 1 lemon
2 large onion; finely chopped
1 bunch or 2 cups fenugreek; chopped fine
2 cups finely chopped spinach
1 400g can plum tomatoes; liquidised
2 400g cans coconut
2-3 medium size aubergines; cubes
1 cup guvar beans; topped and tailed
2 cups peas; fresh or frozen
1 cup chana dal; soaked overnight and boiled
1 cup black eye beans; soaked overnight and boiled
1 400g kidney beans
1 400g chickpeas
10 baby new potatoes; scrubbed
2 limes
salt to taste
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 stick cinnamon
2-3 pods cardamom
2-3 cloves
6 peppercorns
2 tspn coriander and cumin powder
½ tspn tumeric powder
½ tspn garam masala
Dumplings
2 cups millet flour
coriander leaves
fenugreek leaves
2 tspn minced garlic
2 tspn grated ginger
2 green chillies
salt to taste

Method
  1. Marinate the meat overnight with lemon juice, garlic, ginger and green chillies.
  2. Boil the lamb in 2 cups of salted water, keep aside
  3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom and peppercorn. Let them pop and add the onions, fry until brown.
  4. Add the fenugreek and spinach leaves, fry for a few minutes, until the volume of leaves is reduced.
  5. Add tomatoes, mix and fry for about 5-8 minutes, add the coriander, cumin and tumeric powders, mix and cook for a few minutes.
  6. Add the aubergines, peas and guvar beans. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
  7. Add the coconut liquid and lime juice mix and add the potatoes, all the beans and meat. cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  8. Meanwhile make the muthiya / dumplings. Mix all the ingredients with a little water or meat stock until you get a fairly firm dough. Shape the muthiya by placing a walnut size piece of dough in your palm, make a fist gently. Place the muthiya on a tray until all made.
  9. Gently place the muthiya in the boiling stew. Cover and cook for a further 10 minutes.
  10. Sprinkle the garam masala and serve in deep bowls.

17 comments:

FH said...

Fabulous traditional dish Saju. Many thanks to your Chachi. Looks scrumptious.It is hard to make anything traditional,long winding process but it's worth the effort!:))
I am saving it.I tried to get some Lamb yesterday,couldn't get it.

Saju said...

Thanks Asha, do try it is is an amazing dish. We make a huge pot when we make it and my siblings come and collect their portion!

Finla said...

It looks great.
Must be a very authentic recipe.
Was reading your comment, if i was your sibbling i would bring my biggess pot :-)))))))

bee said...

that dish reminds me of our bohra neighbours growing up, who used to prepare something very similar. i remember the taste - just yummy.

musical said...

Saju, thats such a nice authentic recipe. I don't eat lamb, but for sure this gets tried with a veggies substitute. The whole combo with coconuts souds excellent. Thanks to your Chachi! i have an Ismaili colleague here, he'll surely love this recipe too.

Dori said...

This does look delish! I'm thinking of all the vegetables and dumplings just oozing with that lamb flavor...I wish I had everything here, I'd be making this for dinner tonight!

Cynthia said...

This is not just delicious but very comforting.

Saju said...

Thank you, Happy cook. Hehe about the biggest pot! I think I would do the same.:)

You’re probably remember right Bee, as Bohras are Khojas too.

Thanks for you comment, Musical, do show it too your Ismaili colleague as I have lots of other Ismaili recipes on my blog to remind him of his Mom’s cooking.

I hope you try it, Meeso, it is truly delicious, and you will not find it in any Indian restaurant.

Your are right Cynthia it is true comfort food, to be eaten on a cold rainy day. I like it with rice, though you are supposed to eat it by itself!

Anonymous said...

muthias or dumplings made of flour with spices and greens are quite common in gujju food - will try with millet flour sometime

Padma said...

Lamb muthiyas looks awesome and calls for lot of work, you are so lucky to have a wonderful chachi...

KellytheCulinarian said...

That looks amazing, Saju. What a great, hearty dish for fall.

Unknown said...

Looks awesome!!!!

Sabira said...

OH! This is one of my favorite dishes....Wish I had a Chachi like yours. Nothing like home made muthias. Lucky you!

alinuru' s blog said...

Thanks for a wonderful resource and archive. Bless you all for making the effort and time to do this.

alnoor

alnoor said...

Between this recipe and my mom's advice I made a vegetaerian version of this dish and it was delicious!

;-)

Thanks!

Another Alnoor

Shawn Ladak said...

Ya Ali Madad,

This is an excellent recipe and made it for my Nanimas Rhuhani Majlas today. I used beef and beef with bone to make the Muthiya. I found the only thing is that the muthiya are soft and breaking and i am not sure if I Used too much water. The keyforthis recipes to get all the incredients ready first and than it makes it easier!
Superb recipe!! I am sendind this dish for ruhani thalo at morning khane at headquarters jamatkhana in Toronto and this evening at either Headquarters or Donmills! Once again thank you all so so much! I love chachis kitchen!

Shawn Alijah Hassanali Rajpar Ladak [416 833 3614] ladak@rogers.blackberry.net

Nafisa said...

I tried this recipe and substituted beef for lamb. I also added some saragavo (drumsticks). It was really delicious and everyone loved it. My daughter said it tasted like nanimaa's which is quite a compliment! I used a little extra coconut milk as I felt the mix was a little dry.
I'll leave out the drumsticks next time because even though they tasted great, they got mushed with the other ingredients. I also used frozen spinach and fenugreek which I defrosted before using. I am making a huge pot again this weekend. Thank you for this recipe.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.