Saturday, 12 June 2010
Crispy Potato Bhajias
3 spring onions; chopped fine
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
1/2 tablespoon methi / Fenugreek leaves
1 cups chickpea flour
1/2 tea spoon ajma / bishop weed seeds
(1 tspn chopped thyme is a good substitute)
2-3 cloves of garlic; crushed
1 inch ginger; grated
2 green chillis; chopped fine
salt to taste
1/2 cup water;
1/2 tea spoon Sodium Bicarbonate
2 potatoes; sliced thinly into rounds
Oil for frying
1. Placed the chopped spring onions, coriander leaves and methi / fenugreek in a bowl.
2. Add the flour, ajma, garlic, ginger, chillies and salt. Mix well.
3. Add the water and mix to form a thick paste, aside for half an hour
4 . The flour paste should be smooth not too thick / or too runny; if neccessary add 1 to 2 tablespoon of water/ or flour.
5. Heat the oil in a karai / wok / frying pan
5. Add 1 table spoon of hot oil to the batter and mix, add the sodium bicarbornate and mix.
6. Add the potatoes and mix
7. Using your fingers or small tongs and a spoon add the single slice of potato coated with flour paste into the hot oil, until the pan is full.
8. Fry for 2/3 minutes until cooked. Flip over when brown. Place on kitchen paper to drain repeat until all the batter is finished.
9. Serve with coconut chutney.