Friday 5 January 2007

Bharela Marcha (stuffed chillies)

This is what I had for lunch yesterday.

Ingredients
6 large green chillies
1 cup gram (chickpea) flour
1 small onion; choped fine
1 large tomato; blanched, peeled and mashed
2 cloves garlic; minced
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn tumeric powder
1 teaspn cumin/coriander powder
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn cumin seeds

1. Add onions, garlic, tumeric and cumin/coriander powders to the gram flour, mix and then add the tomatoes and enough water to make a fairly thick batter.
2. Make a slit in each chilli, you can remove the seeds, but I left them in for flavour, and stuff with the batter.

3. Heat some oil in a large frying pan, add the mustard and cumin seeds, after they have popped, gently place all the chillies in the pan and cover. (reduce the heat)
4. After about 5 minutes, turn them over, and cover the pan again. Cook for about 20 minutes altogether. This is normally served as a side dish.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

K.Boy said...

Very good recipe as I am used to eating Gujerati type food and also my wife loves Gujerati food , and ofeten visit JayBharat restaurant in LA area (website with the same name).

Anonymous said...

A very good recipe but I'm wondering what you do with the blanched, peeled, mashed tomato!

Saju said...

Thanks K.boy.
Anonymous: thanks for pointing out my ommision, I am now added the tomatoes at the right place.

aipi said...

I love bharela mirchi..it looks very nice n authentic.
Thanx a lot for sharing:)

http://usmasala.blogspot.com/

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Interesting and wonderful

Pushpa said...

My tummy is grumbling,love those stuffed chilies with roti....

www.simplehomefood.com

Anonymous said...

when do u add the salt

Anonymous said...

What chillies do u buy? I don't wanna end up buying chillies which are extremely spicy - thanks

Saira said...

Loved this recipe and I tried it the other day - not sure what Chillies did you use - but I tried it with Jalapenos - took out all the seeds - it was still a little bit spicy for me - but everyone in my household just loved it. Thank you for sharing all these wonderful recipes with us.

Saju said...

Hi I used large green chillies we get in Indian grocers, usually from Kenya

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.