Saturday 20 January 2007

Lasan ja Ladu; Green Garlic and Bajra (Millet) Ladus

Green garlic is fresh tasting, much milder than mature garlic. There is a great pasta and green garlic recipe on Mandira's blog

These Lasan Ladu are served for breakfast in Bhuj, Gujarat in the winter. It is usually served with yogurt or bhurta. One ladu would keep a farmer going until lunchtime.


Ingredients
1. 3-4 rotla - made from 3 cups of millet flour, omit spreading them with butter.
1 cup finely chopped green garlic.
1 cup olive oil (in Bhuj, they used ghee;)

Method
1. Break the rotla and grind into fine crumbs.
2. heat the oil in a large pan, fry the garlic for a few minutes, add the ground rotla and mix.
3. Remove from heat, let it cool , and shape into balls. 8 small ones from this recipe.
4. Serve hot, warm them in a microwave or wrap in foil and place in a hot oven for 5-6 minutes.
5. Serve with yogurt or aubergine bhurta.

Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Shaheen said...

Hi, I linked this recipe to one of the posts on my blog. I really like you blog a lot and I'm a fellow ismaili :) Now i don't have to ask my grandma for traditional recipes, as I will find them here!

sybarite said...

I was delighted to come across your lasan recipe as well as other items on your blog.

I grew up in an Ismaili household and, in terms of ghar ka khana, I lost my way for many years.

Now,in my 60s, there is a yearning for the food I grew up with. I can see myself visiting Chachi's Kitchen time and again.

Saju said...

Hi Sybarite,
I am glad you are enjoying the recipes.

Sunshinemom said...

This is an interesting recipe. Will try it when I buy green garlic. TFS!

Saju said...

Yes and it delish and traditional. Can be a bit dry so serve with yogurt and / or aubergine bhurto.
We have some green garlic in the fridge so may make it soon too.

Anonymous said...

please tell me where i can find green garlic i love this recipe but i cant make without green garlic

yasmeen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yasmeen said...

please tell me where i can find green garlic i love this recipe but i cant make without green garlic in CANADA

Saju said...

Yasmeen,
Your can grow it, just put some single cloves of garlic in a plant pot with soil,water and wait! There is still time to get some leaves growing this yesr.

Saju said...

p.s. Chinese shops often have these in stock, check your China Town

Unknown said...

hey there! how many ladoos should this recipe make? Any clue about calorie content per ladoo? Appreciate you posting this!

Saju said...

makes 20-25 depending on the size. Calories - no idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chachi - my laddu's didn't stick together, they remained crumbly and wouldn't form balls. Any suggestions? Too much oil maybe?

Saju said...

Hi Anon
It is more likely to be not enough oil.
Saju

hospitality management courses in kolkata said...

I came across your blog while looking for some ladoo recipes and liked a lot. How amazing! I will keep an eye on your post.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.