1 kg Okra
3 onions; sliced
4 tablespoons Mustard Oil
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilli powder
Tamarind pulp – ½ cup
50g brown sugar or Jaggery (Gur)
Chopped Coriander for garnish
- Wash and dry the Okra, then top and tail them, leave whole.
- In a frying pan add 2 table spoon of mustard oil, sauté okra for 5-8 minutes and set aside
- Heat rest of mustard oil in another pan and add the onions, fry until golden brown, add to the okra and add the spices.
- Add a sprinkle of water and cook for 10-15 min with frequent stirring, till okra become soft and tender. Taste, and adjust salt or chilli.
- Add tamarind pulp and jaggery to it to give a nice sweet and sour flavour.
- Cook for 2-3 min and serve hot garnished with coriander.