2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp hing - asafoetida
10-12 curry leaves, finely sliced
2 green chillies, finely sliced
200g fresh grated coconut or
100 desiccated coconut
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 pack of filo pastry (6-8 sheets)
Olive oil for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Peel and grate the beetroots, set aside
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil and add the mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter then reduce the heat and add the cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Stir together and cook for a minute before adding the asafoetida.
- Stir in the grated coconut and saute with the spices. Coconut can stick to the bottom of the pan so keep stirring.
- Once the coconut has toasted add the beetroot and cook until the beetroot is dry. Place in a glass bowl to cool.
- To make samosa: Spread one sheet of the filo pastry brush with olive oil. Place another sheet on top and spread with olive oil.
- Cut the phyllo sheets in 3 strips. At the end of each strip add one tablespoon of the filling. Fold one corner to form a triangle and continue folding the triangle upon itself, until the entire piece of filo is used. Continue with the rest filo sheets and filling.
- Oil the bottom of a large baking tray, place the samosas and brush them with some olive oil on top. Bake in for 25-30 minutes, until golden and crispy.