Sunday 2 November 2008

Vegetable Biryani

This was our Sunday lunch,  the starter was Gujarati Muthiya


Ingredients
2 tablespn oil
2 sticks cinammon
4 pods cardomom
5 cloves
1/2 tspn cumin seeds
3-4 pepper corns
1 large onion; chopped fine
3 cloves of garlic; minced
1 1/2 inch ginger; grated
3-4 green chillies; minced
6-8 very small potatoes; peeled
2 carrots; peeled and sliced into 5mm (1/4 inch) slices
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped fenugret
1 cauliflower; cut into bite-size florets
4 large tomatoes; peeled and liquidised
2 tspn coriander and cumin powders
1/2 tspn tumeric
1/4 tspn garam masala
2 cups rice; washed and soaked in water
pinch of saffron; soaked in 1 tablespoon of warm water



1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, fry the whole masala; cumin, cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns, and cardomom, fry until they pop and splutter, add the onion and fry until translucent.
2. Add the potatoes, fry for a few minutes
3. Add the carrots, peas and fenugrek, mix and cook for a few minutes
4. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli, mix and fry for a few minutes.  Add the yogurt, mix and cook for a few minutes
5. Add the cauliflower and tomotoes mix and fry for a few minutes
6. Add the cumin, coriander and tumeric powders, mix and cook for 15 minutes
7. Add the garam masala mix.
5.Meanwhile parboil the rice in lots of water, strain and wash with cold water
6. Place half the vegetable mixture in an oven proof dish, place half the rice on top of it.
7. Fry the cumin in the oil
8. Pour half the cumin / oil mixture on the rice, pour half the saffron mixture on the rice.
9. Layer the other half of the vegetable mixture. Top with the other half of the rice
Pour the the other half of the cumin and saffron on the rice.
10. Place in a moderate oven for 15 minutes.


 

11 comments:

Finla said...

It is aes ago i made vegetable biriyani. This looks yumm.
Now just give me a bowl of raita with it , i will be happily enjoying them :-)

Sanhita said...

Hi. First time here. You have a lovely blog. Lots of nice recipes to pick and chose to make. The veg biryani looks yummy. Hope you don't mind, I am adding this blog to my list. PLease feel free to visit my blog and leave comments.
Happy cooking.

Saju said...

Thanks happy cook! I get the raita just for you.

Saju said...

sanhita, thank you very much for the nice things you said. I have been to your blog, great recipes, I am going to try the kurma. However I was not able to put comments on your blog, I don't know why, it is not working?

Sunshinemom said...

What a beautiful snap! Can I have some? I am glad I discovered your blog:)

Saju said...

Thanks Sunshinemom, I have just been to your blog. I like it very much

TNL said...

Ohhh...my does that look TEMPTING! I am trying your version next weekend.

cheers, trupti

Dori said...

This is a perfect lunch, looks so delicious!

Sharmi said...

very colorful looking biryani! wish I could taste some:)

Raaga said...

I have to try this, it looks so perfect... and it is lunch time here now :-)

Unknown said...

looks yummy....sangeeta

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.