Chachi made these last Sunday for Dolubai. I got to have some too. Slightly bitter, but very tasty.
Saturday, 15 November 2008
Kerala jo Shaak / Spicy Bitter Gourds Ismaili Style
4-5 unripe bitter gourds / kerala - should be firm to the touch
1 tblspn vegetable oil
1 tspn cumin seeds
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves; minced
1 inch ginger; grated
2 green chillies; minced
2 medium tomatoes; blanched, peeled and liquidised
1/4 tspn tumeric
1 tspn coriander / cumin powders
1. Scrap the kerala / bitter gourds, and slice into 1/4 inch half circles. Discard the ripe ones (with red seeds). Or remove the seeds. The seed in unripe kerala are tender.
2. Soak in salty water for at least 30 minutes
3. Heat the oil, and fry the cumin seeds, until they swell up, add the onion, fry until golden brown.
4. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli paste, mix and fry for about 30 secs.
5. Add the bitter gourd and stir for about 5 minutes
6. Add the tomatoes, stir and cook for 5 minutes, add the tumeric, coriander and cumin powders, mix, reduce the heat and cook for about 20 minutes or until the bitter gourd is cooked.
Serve with hot chapatis
Good for diabetes