Sunday 18 May 2008

Kitchri

I am finally back after a long break.
Kitchri a truelly ancient dish, it is a mixture of split unhulled mung beans and rice. Ibn Battuta, the Arab traveller in the 14th Century, described it as "the munj (ming) is boiled with rice, and then buttered and eaten. This is what they call kishri." Afanasy Nikitin (15th Century), a Russian merchant also mentions it in this writing.

We make two kinds kitchris, lussie kitchri and chuti or bhuni kitchri. Lussie kitchri is creamy like rissoto, whereas chuti kitchri is fluffy with separate grains. I also make kedgeree, an Anglo-Indian breakfast dish, which is kitchri with the lentils replaced by smoked fish.

Here are the recipes for
  1. Kitchri
  2. Chuti Kitchri
  3. Kedgeree

2 comments:

rejina said...

this looks gorgeous, and exactly like my mother makes it.

Sweet Artichoke said...

Hello!
What a nice blog you have! So many mouthwatering recipes!
It is so interesting to read about Kitchri, I had no idea that Ibn Battuta had written about it!
I have just posted a khichuri recipe that I learnt from my mother in law and I am interested in discovering variations of this delicious dish!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.