Sunday, 13 December 2009
Kerala ne dungri jo shaak / Spicy Bitter Gourd with Onions
5 bitter gourds / kerala - should be firm to the touch
4 medium onions; sliced fine
2 tblspn vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves; minced
2 inch ginger; grated
2 green chillies; minced
3 medium tomatoes; blanched, peeled and liquidised
1/4 tspn tumeric
1 tspn coriander / cumin powders
1. Scrap the kerala / bitter gourds, and slice into 1/4 inch slices. Discard the ripe ones (with red seeds). Or remove the seeds. The seed in unripe kerala are tender.
2. Soak in salty water for at least 30 minutes
3. Heat the oil, a add the onion, fry until golden brown.
4. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli paste, mix and fry for about 30 secs.
5. Add the bitter gourd and stir for about 5 minutes
6. Add the tomatoes, stir and cook for 5 minutes, add the tumeric, coriander and cumin powders, mix, reduce the heat and cook for about 20 minutes or until the bitter gourd is cooked.
The sweetness of the onions counteracts the bitterness of the kerala, delicious!
We had it served with methi rotlo