Sunday, 27 December 2009
Baked / Roasted Chevro / Chevdo
4 cups thin pawa /poha , (dried cooked flattened rice)
1/2 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup whole cashew nuts
1/2 small red peanuts
1/2 melon seeds
1/2 golden raisins
1/2 cup daria / dalia (roasted split chickpeas - available in Indian shops)
2 tspn tumeric
2 tspn sugar
salt to taste
powdered red chillis to taste
1 tablespoon oil
1 tspn fennel
2 tspn sesame seeds
1/2 tspn mustard seeds
12-14 curry leaves
1. Warm the oven to 150 degrees centigrade or 300 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Mix the Tumeric, salt, sugar and red chili powder in a small bowl
3. Place the pawa / poha in 2 large trays and bake for 10 minutes
4. Place in a large container and Stir in the tumeric mix. Don't worry if the mix does not look yellow, the colour will develop.
5. Place the raisins on a baking tray, spray with a little oil, bake for about 5 minutes or until the raisins swell up into tiny balls.
5. Turn up the temperature 175 degrees centigrade / 350 degrees Fahrenheit
6. Bake the Almonds, Cashews nut for 15 minutes
7. Melon seeds, peanuts and daria / dalia for 10 minutes
8 Mix the raisins and nuts with the pawa / poha
9. Heat the oil in a small frying pan, fry the fennel, sesame seeds mustard seeds, curry leaves and cloves and add to the chevro mix.
you can also add crisps
Use cornflakes instead of pawa / poha
Use mumbra or rice crispies instead.
Rice crispies or cornflakes don't need to be baked.
To make the colour richer add 1tspn of paprika (I did not have any)