Sunday, 24 March 2013
Methi Chicken / Chicken in Fenugreek Herby Sauce
1 chicken; skinned and cut into 8-10 pieces
2 tablespoon yogurt
2 inch ginger; grated
2-3 garlic cloves; minced
1-2 green chillies; minced
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 pods cardamom
1 2 inch stick cinnamon
1 large onion; chopped finely;
4 large tomatoes; peeled and blended
1 cup methi leaves (fenugreek leaves); chopped
½ tea spoon tumeric
2 tea spoons coriander/cumin powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups chicken stock or water
1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 tablespoon chopped coriander
1. Marinate the chicken in the yogurt, ginger, garlic and chillies for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and peppercorns. As soon as they pop add the onions and fry until golden brown,
3. Add the chicken and stir so that the chicken is coated with the onions; cook for about 10 minutes
4. Add the tomatoes, add the tumeric and coriander/cumin mixture fry for another 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the methi mix and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, and bring to boil, simmer for 20 minutes, add the garam masala powder and mix.
6. Serve garnished with chopped coriander.
7. Serve with chapatti or rice and a salad.