Monday, 19 March 2012
Indonesian Beef Rendang
Minangkabau, Western Sumatra.
1 400gm can coconut milk
1 kg / 2 lb stewing beef (I used leg); cut into 1 inch cubes
1 stalk lemon grass; split into two
6 Shallots; cut into halves
4 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger; chopped
1 inch fresh turmeric root; chopped
4 red chillies; chopped
1 inch galangal; chopped
6 fresh or dried kaffir leaves
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut; toasted in a dry pan until brown
5 small potatoes; peeled, cut into halves and sauted
10 chestnut mushrooms; cut into halves and sauted until dry
1. Place 4 tablespoon of coconut milk in a pan, add beef and lemon grass to it. Stir and cook for 5 minutes
2. Chop finely all the rest of the ingredients except for the desiccated coconut in a food processer.
3. Add this to the meat and coconut milk, stir fry for a few minutes.
4. Add rest of the coconut milk and simmer or about 2 hours.
5. Grind the toasted desiccated coconut and add to the stew.
6. Add sauted potatoes and or mushrooms, simmer for ½ hour or until the potatoes are cooked.
7. Serve with rice.