Wednesday 15 October 2008

Dhebra with Courgette / zuchini

Recently one of my readers asked me for a recipe for dhebra.  We usually make these with dudhi, but I had to improvise and use courgette!
Ingredients
1 cup bajra / millet flour
1 cup whole wheat flour 
2 tablespoon oil
1/4 tspn sodium bicarbonate
1 cup chopped methi / fenugrek 
1/2 cup chopped coriander
1 courgette; finely grated
3 cloves garlic; grated
1 -2 inch stem ginger; grated
2-3 green chillies; finely chopped
1 cup sour yoghurt (if not include 1 tblspn lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
oil for frying


1. mix the two flours and sodium bicarbonate, add the oil, mix.
2. add the herbs, courgette garlic, ginger, chillies and youghurt.
3. mix, add the water carefully so that you have a stiff dough, leave for at least half an hour
4. make about 16-20 patties and place on wax or grease proof paper
5. heat the oil, meanwhile take some cling film / saran wrap and place some sesame seeds on it, place a patty on this, sprinkle some sesame seeds on this, and using another piece of film / wrap, flatten the dhebra.
6. fry slowly at low heat or the centre will not cook
7. Serve warm with yogurt.


10 comments:

TNL said...

what a great idea! now I know I have to try this one! Its been a while since I dropped by, hope all is well!

trupti

Saju said...

thanks Trupti, you gave me the dudhi dhebra recipe!

Anonymous said...

Hi Saju,
Bookmarked... try it soon. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe.
Gowri

Finla said...

This looks so yumm.
I have never made anything from this flour.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Saju, it was me who asked you for the receipe. Can't wait to try it. Ya Ali Madad. Fawzia

Saju said...

Fawzia, I forgot to say, wet your hands when you are handling the dough, bajri is very sticky. Good luck, do let me know how you got on. Send me a pic and I will blog it!

anudivya said...

Lovely recipe, my first time here. The pics are lovely!
I am off to explore the rest.

Anonymous said...

Wow.. was looking for this recipe since long.. u made my day!!!!

Beth Patel said...

Wow this is so kewl. My husband's family is 2 generation Ugandan gujaratis. where is your family from in Uganda? I have learned to cook from my M-I-L and have been to Uganda 3 times myself. I will definately bookmark your blog.

nazma ladha said...

Wow, Saju, your dhebras look delicious - I am going to try this.
I have been making rotlas and methi rotlas,your style, great results with plastic sheets.
Thanks a million.

YA ALI MADAD, CHACHI.

Nazma

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.