3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup melted butter (coolish)
2 tbspn water
1 tblspn orange flower water
For the filling:
250 gm pack of pitted date paste (block); finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup water
2 tspn orange flower water
1 egg; beate
- Place the semolina and flour in a bowl, mix with a fork, add the butter, water and orange flower water, mix with the fork until you get soft dough. Cover and leave for 1 hour
- Meanwhile place the dates in a bowl with the water, and microwave for 2 minutes
- Stir; add the nuts, mix and place in the microwave for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Centigrade or 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a lime-size lump of the pastry, pat it down or roll it out, place a heaped teaspn of filling in the centre, close it, by pinching all the sides, flatten it into a patty like shape and place in on a greased oven tray pinched side down.
- Use a fork to press some designs on the pastry.
- Brush each patty with the beaten egg. (I forgot to do it –LOL)
- Bake for 25 minutes.