Wednesday 19 September 2007

Spicy Beetroot Soup

I could not resist a bunch of beetroots in Sainsburys on Saturday. They ended up being a light supper for us on Saturday Evening (......a starter for Sunday Lunch time, on Monday I had to say no!) . This soup is delicious with some crusty bread, and can be a light lunch / supper or a starter.

Ingredients
4-5 fresh beetroots; peeled, washed and diced
1 onion; diced
1 leek; chopped roughly in 1 cm rings
2 potatoes; peeled, washed and diced
6 cloves garlic; chopped fine
1-2 red chillies (I got mine from the garden, 1 inch long, but super hot!); choped roughly
1 tblspn olive oil
salt to taste


Method
1. Heat the oil in a pan, and fry the onions until golden brown,
2. Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes
3. Add all the vegetables and the chilli and saute for about 10 minutes
4. Add 3-4 cups of water or stock (vegetable or chicken), I didn't have any.
5. Simmer until the vegetable are cooked, using a liquidised wand to homogenise until smooth.
6. Serve with crusty bread. I tried to swirl a little creme fraiche on the top, but it sank!!

Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Finla said...

Beautiful Colour.
It also looks good. Love soup.

FH said...

Love Beets.What a great colour.looks like great soup for chilly day!
Cream on top to decorate melts if soup is hot,let it cool a bit for cream swirl,just to take a photo! Things we do for blogging! HeHe!!:))

musical said...

Lovely soup, Saju. I bought some beets, have used the greens and now i can make this with the beets :). Really great recipe!

Saju said...

Thanks Happy Cook, I love soup too, comfort food for me.
Thanks for the tip Asha, I will be trying that next time!
Thanks musical, I actually had this for the first time a few years ago in Spain made by an Iranian friend. It was so yummy, I make it every year when beets are in season.

bee said...

beautiful. i always add a twist of lime to beetroot dishes. try it.

Saju said...

hey Bee, that's a good idea, I will try lime next time.
So much to learn on the blogosphere huh?

Sharmi said...

waw that soup looks very satisfying!
now I got something to do with beets other than subzi.

KellytheCulinarian said...

What an awesome color! Spice and beets must be a delicious combination.

Richa said...

yup, the soup season is fast approaching, though i never have to look at the seasons to have a bowl of soup :)
looks delicious, slurrrrrp....

Pdk said...

beetroot soup is very new to me.. i love beets

Cynthia said...

The colour is so inviting.

Suganya said...

Gorgeous colour. It is for this reason I add a pice of beetroot in tomato soup.

Timepass said...

Lovely...Your mention of Sainsburys reminded me of the time I shopped there.

Padma said...

My God Saju, I have to try this, seriously..these days am anemic! Nice photo of the soup

zlamushka said...

Great color. I wouldnt want to drop it on my blouse :-) this is cool, causse I dont usually cook with beetroot, never know how... But here in Sweden, beetroot is ´in´all year round...

SeeC said...

I am making my way to Sainsburys now :))

Lovely idea and very healthy one too.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.