- Wash and dry the okra with a paper or cloth towel. Cut off the top part and tip of the okras.
- Make a length-wise slit, without separating the okra in halves
- Mix the dry spices and flour and set aside.
- Place the onions, tomatoes, chillies, garlic and coriander with the stems in a food process and grind finely. Else, chop everything finely.
- Add to the flour mix with 2 teaspoons of oil, mix to make a thick paste. Fill the okra slits with the spice mix and place in a large container.
- Put a wide frying pan on the stove, and add 2 tablespoons of oil, when hot add the panch phoran spices
- Place all the okra in pan with stuff side upwards. Turn down the heat and cover. Cook for 10 minutes and turn them over, cover and cook for a further 15 minutes at very low setting.
Panch Phoron Recipe
1 tbsp nigella seeds.
1 tbsp black mustard seeds.
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds.
1 tbsp fennel seeds.
1 tbsp cumin seeds.
Mix and place in a dry container.