Ismaili Recipes - This blog contains our family recipes; mainly it is Ismaili (Khoja) cuisine, our family lived in Uganda for 3 generations so we have a marked East African(Swahili, Lugandi) Influence in our cooking AND in our language!! (Kutchi / Cutchi / Gujarati.
In recent years with new additions to the family our cooking includes, English, Pakistani, Italian and Irish influences.
1 25gm pack of china grass / agar agar (available from Indian stores)
1/4 cup water
1 pint / 500ml milk
1 teaspoon cardamom
3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
drop of pink colouring
sliced nuts (almonds)
1. I divided the 25g China Grass packet into 4 parts.
2. take one part of the above, snip into short pieces using a pair of scissors, soak in cold water for about 10 minutes, strain with a fine sieve or colander, wash and place in a saucepan with 1/4 cup water.
3. Bring to boil, and simmer until all the agar is melted.
4. Meanwhile boil the milk and sugar in another pan and mix with the agar / water mix.
5. Bring to boil, add the cardamom and the pink colouring.
6 Decant into glasses or bowls and place in a cool place, leave until set.
7. Garnish with sliced nuts. Place in the fridge until cool. Serve.
p.s. as I am diabetic I add the minimum of sugar, you can increase the amount according to your taste.
UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RECIPES ARE THE ORIGINAL CREATION OF CHACHI'S KITCHEN. ALL PHOTOS BY CHACHI'S KITCHEN. PLEASE DO NOT POST OR PUBLISH WITHOUT CITING. CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS: CHACHISKITCHEN (AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM.