2 cups chapatti or whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tablespoon (22ml) oil
200ml lukewarm water
50ml olive oil to smear over each chapatti
- Add the oil to the flour and use your hands to mix it in until you get a crumbly mixture
- Add water gradually mixing between additions until you get a firm dough.
- Rest the dough for 30 minutes. Divide into 12 lemon sized balls.
- Place a flat griddle or a tava on the stove.
- Roll into a circle until it is about 16 cm in diameter.
- Place the chapatti onto the hot griddle, cook for about 30 seconds and turn it over, cook for a further 90 seconds and turn it over again. At this stage use a spoon or a piece of crunched up kitchen paper to pat the chapatti firmly. This action will make the chapatii puff up. Remove when golden brown, about 60 seconds.
- Turn it over onto a flat plate and smear with about a teaspoon of olive oil.
Delicious hot, especially with sugar sprinkled on.