This was a brainchild of Laksmi of Veggie Cuisine
This is my entry for JFI Oriya Cooking. Swapna from Swad is hosting for this event.
Oriya cooking is very new to me, I bought Laxmi Parida's Purba: Feast from the East book, but I must admit I did not find it very useful. Despite the good reviews on Amazon, I found it very difficult to follow. In the end, I just googled and found this recipe. Reference at the end of the page.
2 medium sizes ridge gourds; peeled and sliced into half moon slices
1 tomato; chopped
6 small new potatoes; boil in their skin, and sliced in ½ inch rounds
1 onion; chopped fine
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 garlic cloves
½ tspn coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt to taste
1. Mix the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper and garlic with a ½ cup water, and grind in food processer.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, fry the onion until golden brown
3. Add the ridge gourd and tomatoes. Mix well
4. Add the potatoes; mix
5. Add the mustard mixture and salt, mix well.
6. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes
7. Serve hot with chapatis or parathas.
I have adapted this recipe from this website