This is an East African Dish. Usually served with a hot cocunut chicken curry (bit like Thai green curry).
I have posted it especially for Anja. Let me know if you make it.
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tspn yeast
1/3 packet creamed coconut, grated
1/2 tspn ground cardamom seeds
3 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Wash and soak the rice it overnight.
- Drain the rice and place in a blender with milk, sugar, cardamom and grated creamed coconut. Blend until it is smooth.
- Add the yeast and blend again for a couple of minutes.
- Put the liquid into a bowl (should be exactly 3 cups, add water if necessary) cover and leave in a warm place until the mixture rises and has doubled in volume.
- Heat the oil in a 9 inch frying pan, add the batter. Cover and reduce the heat, cook for 45minutes. The top of the mkate should be firm.
- Sprinkle the poppy seeds and place under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and place on a cooking rack.