Monday 9 April 2012
Syrian Chickpea Fatteh Salad
I first had this in Syria in 2008 for breakfast. It can be very healthy if you use low fat yogurt and bake the bread and nuts instead of traditional frying. I had it for my lunch on Saturday.
400g tin chick peas
1 cup strained Laban or Greek-style yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pitta bread
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon melon seeds
1 tablespoon slivered almonds
Salt to taste
A little olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sumac
1. Set the oven at 180 degrees centigrade
2. Split the pitta bread and cut into small wedges
3. Oil a baking tray with olive oil, place the bread pieces, brush a little olive oil on tops of the bread pieces.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, until crispy
5. Wash the chickpeas and place in a pan with enough water to cover, bring to boil and simmer.
6. Add the garlic and salt to the yogurt mix and beat well.
7. When the pitta is ready, place the nuts and seeds on a baking tray and cook for 5 minutes until golden brown
8. Place the crispy bread pieces on a plate, pour a little of the hot water from the chickpeas over them.
9. Place all the chickpeas over the pitta bread, cover with the yogurt / garlic mix.
10. Garnish with the seeds and nuts, and a little sumac