1 stick cinnamon, 3 cloves, 3 cardomom pods
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion; chopped fine
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into fours
3 plum tomatoes; peeled and liquidised
1 tspn garlic paste
1 tspn grated ginger
2 green chillis; minced
1 tblspn yogurt
2 tspn ground cumin/coriander mix
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 cups basmati rice; washed and soaked in water
1/2 cup fresh / frozen peas
3 cups water
1. Heat the oil, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, let them pop.
2. Add the onions and fry until they are a rich golden brown.
3. Add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and chilli pastes, cook for about 10 minutes, and then add the coriander, cumin and tumeric powders, stir for a couple of minutes.
4. add the yogurt and cook for a a few minutes until it is blended with the tomatoes and onions
5. Add the rice, potatoes and peas, stir and the water.
Cook for 20 minutes, stir at about 10 minutes to mix the peas and rice.